WANTED: Outdoor Satsuki Azalea

jan27May 7, 2010

I just received my bonsai Azalea by mail from my son for Mothers Day. The outside temp. is in low to mid 40s. Night will be even lower temps this weekend with possible snow. Should I still put out on covered porch which is eastside & cover at night, or keep in house until temps. are warmer. Plant has beautiful dark green leaves with a few pink flowers. It was grown in MS which I'm sure has warmer temps. Thanks for helping. My plants do well but this is a new & very different challenge for me. My son obviously has faith in me! Thanks so much for advise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidfromdetroit

The answer depends on the type of azalea. Some are more cold-hardy than others. In general, azaleas will be fine in the 40s. Even a hard frost, although it may damage or discolor some leaves, won't kill the plant.

However, there are some species that can be affected, especially in the spring. What can happen is that an azalea that has successfully wintered in sub-freezing temperatures will begin to sense the onset of spring and run its sap before nature has finished sending sub-freezing temperatures at it. This means the bark has fluid transferring within it as the plant gears up for spring that was not present during the winter. Then, if a late freeze occurs, the sap freezes which kills the bark, literally tearing it up at the cellular level.

The results of this damage are not immediately apparent. It may take months or even seasons to notice, but you will see the bark, mainly near the soil surface, start to split and/or peel away from the trunk. That means it has been damaged. If the area of damaged bark completely girdles the trunk, everything north of the girdle will die.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Advice: Is my Serissa diseased?
I bought a Serissa foetida a couple days ago from a...
Adam_San
WANTED: Bonsai Plant Gift Ideas
My friend has bought a new house so there is a small...
himali.patel
WANTED: is this an oak tree?
I'm trying to bonsai this. I think it is an oak.
nealmartin
HAVE: Japanese Maple seeds
Heirloom Japanese Maple seeds (Acer Palmatum) Trading...
kent_t
WANTED: Fortunella hindsii seeds
I would love to find some Fortunella hindsii seeds. I...
shohinken
Sponsored Products
Troy Lighting Montgomery Traditional Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
Orbitor White 16-Inch 200 Watt Outdoor Wall Light with Frosted Glass
$306.95 | Bellacor
Corinthian Column Outdoor Chat Table, Patio Furniture
$995.00 | FRONTGATE
Geneva Outdoor Pendant by Troy Lighting
$396.00 | Lumens
CSL Level Bronze 6 3/4" Wide LED Wall/Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting