WANTED: New member

softballcoachJune 29, 2012

Hi. I am a new member. I found this forum searching about royal poncianna bonsai. I bought a bonsai recently that was thought to be a poncianna but through research, it is a nice Jacaranda bonsai old enough to bloom. South Florida has thousands of royal poncianna trees currently in bloom. I passed such a tree today and dug up a nicely shaped "pup" about 10" tall most likely from a fallen seed. I brought it home, snipped the long tap root, trimmed back the branches and potted it. It has a nice shaped trunk with a natural twist at the bottom. What are the survival chances? I am very vigallant in monitoring my new find. What are the chances of this specemine blooming in the coming years?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Alpha1

Hey softballcoach, I'm new here too and by no means am I a bonsai expert. I can tell though that I have a several plantings of Royal Ponciannas (from seeds) I'm also attempting to bonsai. A couple I've had over 6-7 years now and still no blooms. I don't know if they ever will bloom either. I'm still hoping, but so far no luck. I'd love to have a Jacaranda too. I planted one in my yard, but I'm too far north (Sanford area) and the cold killed it after 3 years of freezes.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 8:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
staticembrace

About blooming: every plant that has the genetic potential to bloom can. What a lot of people don't realize is that it's not the root structure or soil really that affects blooms. Remember, blooms are the plant's way of reproducing. Unless a plant get the right signals it simply won't - what every plant needs to signal that it is the right time to bloom is a specific temperature range and a particular length of day and night. Predominantly indoor plants suffer particularly from incorrect ratios of the latter. If you can figure out day/night length of the plant in the area that it thrives with best and supply that, it should bloom. Make sure that it is getting both full light and complete darkness too though, many people forget that plants need a nighttime too: this is when most of their flowering and fruiting processes occur. Hope that helps!
-Static

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
wanted: shipping a bonsai tree from japan to the us.
I am heading to Japan for summer classes and I am a...
new-b
WANTED: Azalea
I would like some satsuki azalea seeds or cuttings,...
BassandBonsai
WANTED: is this an oak tree?
I'm trying to bonsai this. I think it is an oak.
nealmartin
wanted: nice looking bonsai for noobie
I'm a Noobie to Bonsai's but I'm looking for something...
bobbygrady
HAVE: Have coral bark maple seedlings
Have 4 Japanese Maple seedlings - red coral bark -...
fredgpops
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™