WANTED: College Dorm Bonsai.

zeblekAugust 14, 2010

Ive been reading these forums for quite sometime now and havent found the answer to my question so finally made an account to post my question. I'll be going to college here shortly and living in a dorm room with one window. I know that all bonsai's need sufficient light sooner or later and to avoid over and underwatering. I keep hearing that ficus are one of the best to grow indoors but I wanted to know if a flowering white serrisa japonica would be just as easy as a ficus midnight benjamina? Right now im stuck between these two types of bonsai but would like to know an opinion from experienced bonsai growers which bonsai would be easiest in a college dorm or if they both are pretty neutral?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeblek

Any suggestions?

Bookmark   August 14, 2010 at 6:24PM
gardener_guy(6)

Sorry, you are in the wrong forum. Go to "Forums" at top of page. Then go way down to "Bonsai". click it then scroll down to bottom of page. Enter your question there.

Gardener Guy

Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 5:52AM
mike423(5 IL)

I would definitely suggest a Ficus as they are very forgiving when it comes to under or over watering and while they prefer a good amount of light can fair with low to moderate amounts (Perfect Beginner Bonsai's). Serissa's on the other hand are very finicky in fact their the total opposite. They have a tendency to lose all there leaves when they receive to much or to little light or to much or to little water. They also will do so when they are moved form one room to another sometimes. I would definitely recommend a Ficus . Any type of ficus will do (Their are over 2,000 sub-species). I have both of the above mentioned as of right now and am planning on growing a "Banyan" Style Ficus soon as well which grow aerial roots. Probably with a Ficus benghalensis or Ficus virens. Good luck

-Mike

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 9:56PM
olddoctorjoe

THERE IS ONLY ONE FOOL PROOF PLANT FOR THE INDOOR BONSAI.AS I TELL MY STUDENTS ENEN IF YOU COULD GROW IT IN LOW LIGHT ,SOMEBODY HAS TO WATER IT WHEN YOU GO HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS. GET A NICE SIZE JADE PLANT WITH SMALL LEAVES(LOOK IN WALL MART OR LOWES ),PUT IT IN A POT WITH FINE GRAVEL ,AND AND A ABIT OF SCREENED PINE BARK,BINGO,YOU HAVE YOUR COLLEGE BONSAI WHICH WILL LOOK GREAT BY GRADUATION.YOU CAN GO AWAY FOR 4 TO 5 MONTHS AND NOT WORRY ABOUT WATERING .
WHEN YOU GET TO COLLEGE LOOK UP THE LOCAL BONSAI CLUB,OR BONSAI NURSERY AND GET CONNECTED. I WISH I HAD LEARNED ABOUT BONSAI AT YOUR AGE.YOU HAVE A WHOLE LIFE TIME TO GROW TREES,AND EVEN THAT IS TOO SHORT. I STARTED BONSAI AT AGE 41 AND AT 83 `M STILL LEARNING, READBOOKS GOOD LUCK
OLD DOC

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Azalea
I would like some satsuki azalea seeds or cuttings,...
BassandBonsai
WANTED: Bonsai Help
Does anyone knows a good web page to learn about bonsai? I...
luisito8m
HAVE: Bonsai mint (plectranthus ernestii), operculicarya decary
Have small plants of these started, also ficus starters...
jolene_2010
WANTED: Seeds, seedlings or cuttings for Bonsai
I'm finally in a house with a yard and can once again...
dgphelps
HAVE: Bougainvillea Purple Carpet
I have a Purple Carpet Bougainvillea up for trade. It...
thams
Sponsored Products
Bamboo Viscose Bi-Color Throw
Grandin Road
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: American Rug Craftsmen Rugs Baby Owls Brown 3
Home Depot
Eliot Leather Bench - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Palm Tree Balloon Goblets
Classic Hostess
Del Monte Foods - Pet Food 3.15 lb. Meow Mix Original Choice Cat Food Multicolor
$28.99 | Hayneedle
Homelegance Bellamy Cocktail Table w/ Lift Top on Casters in Warm Cherry
Beyond Stores
Original FUF Chair 5 ft. King Comfort Suede Bean Bag Sofa - 0005176
$135.99 | Hayneedle
Authentic Models Dining Deck Chair
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™