Garden Centre Plants

justcloxJanuary 26, 2013

According to the books I have read one is supposed to leave the tree in the ground for a few years to thicken up the trunk. OK sounds reasonable, except...
I recently bought a crab apple tree from the Garden Centre, it had obviousely been in its nice large pot for a few years. It is now taller than I am. I am obviousely missing something which is not being explained. How do I leave it in the ground for a few years and not have it end up as a big tree which I would then have to cut down to size, leaving a horrible flat top?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

The answer you're looking for is "trunk chops".

Maybe this little mulberry (that needs root work) I'm working on will help explain. This was a volunteer that showed up in the raised beds I use for growing on bonsai material. I let it grow until it was a little over 2 meters tall, then cut it back hard. This is only one of the options I had for building a tree on the trunk that was left.

I could have allowed ONE new branch to emerge from high on the trunk below the chop, and trained it up as the new leader. This would have thickened, and thickened the lower trunk as well. I could then have performed another chop - as many as I wanted to do, to build taper into the tree and make it look old.

This maple will (already is) be chopped just above the small branch with wire on it, and allowed to grow.

I don't really care yet about the branch structure. I'm interested primarily in building a good root system

and a tapered trunk. Once I've developed roots and taper, I can start working toward a tree that will look believable when it's presented.

Al

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 4:49PM
justclox

Thanks for your well documented explanation. On your mulberry, will you be able to get rid of the flat top, or does that matter?

Alistair

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 4:42AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

By 'flat top', do you mean the scar left from the chop? That will eventually heal over - or I can carve a hollow into the trunk to make it look more natural. The plant actually looks much better than it does in the picture. The congestion on the left is because you're actually looking at 2 branches, one superimposed over the other. And, this is just the first year of developing the plant after the chop, so it's come a long way in a year.

Al

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 4:27PM
justclox

Hello,
Yes it was the large flat top to the tree that I was looking at. This conversation has been VERY useful. Thank you.

Alistair

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 6:10AM
More Discussions
New to bonsai
Hey there. I am relatively new to indoor plants although...
ecj2015
help my bonsai is dying!!!!!
Hello, I am in desperate need of help. I am a begginer...
dayscraze
Japanese Maple Bonsai Tree Started to Sprout
Hello, I am a first time bonsai grower and I bought...
bgardne7
Fukien Tea - Making a come back!!!
Hello Everyone, this is a wonderful story. Back in...
halocline
Fukien Tea Bonsai Help
My bonsai has been happy for about a year with new...
Forrest Finkler
Sponsored Products
Myron Walnut Rectangular Coffee Table
bryght.com
GlideRite Slatwall Garage Organization Garden Kit
Overstock.com
Communicator Plant Desk Organizer by Alessi
$102.00 | Lumens
Downtown Collection 9 Light 36" Wide Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Tech Lighting | Pre-Bent 90 degree Curve T-TRAK
$103.20 | YLighting