Light

beatup99January 9, 2009

Hello, it's me again ^^

I have another question... My bonsai is placed outside my window, and it catches direct sun during the entire day, but only on one side. Should I rotate the bonsai every day, so it can get sunlight on both sides?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

Rotate the TREE (not "the bonsai")... yes.

Bookmark   January 9, 2009 at 1:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Yes!
Plants grow toward the sun - Heliotropism (as I like to say) - or toward light - Phototropism. Whichever your prefer. So, if you want a plant to grow in a particular direction, aim it toward the path of the sun.

For balance, you need to turn the tree regularly. During the growing season/s, you need to turn the tree even more often. If you have the opportunity, observe how the tree receives light throughout the day.

In my living room, I have large east-facing windows, as well as a south-facing window. So, to capture as much sun as possible, I place my jade plants (for example) on the eastern windowsill in the morning. When I get home in the early afternoon, I move the jades to the southern windowsill. During the spring/summer growing season, I move them around on the deck often - several times a day, if I'm home.

If one of my plants is leaning, I'll turn it AWAY from the sun so that the plant will bring itself upright as it turns back toward the sun. In my opinion, it's good for both the trunk and the roots (anchoring).

Anyhow, this post is longer than it needed to be, but I thought I'd ramble. There's a good song - "Otherworldly Dreamer" playing... ;)

Josh

Bookmark   January 9, 2009 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Eastern White Pine
hi, I have a small eastern white pine intended for...
bigbiglew
New Chinese elm
Hi, I received a nice chinese elm bonsai as a gift....
doomahx
Weeping Willow....
The old Thread that I posted on this Weeping Willow...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
When to prune / re-pot??
If you grow bonsai indoors year around, does it matter...
halocline
Need help Identifying this...
I recently got this Bonsai as a gift and would like...
kcolborne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™