My first Bonsais - Plant ID

spaceman13(6b)February 16, 2013

I've been wanting to try Bonsai for some time, on a trip to the local nursery to apply for a weekend job, to buy more plants and get a discount to boot.

I got 2 plants from the small Bonsai section, the one on the left is labeled "Ficus Nerifolia", the one on the right is labeled "Succulents and Cactus - 4in"
It's obviously a succulent...any idea what kind? I'd like to be able to find out the light and water requirements.

Being my first effort, my ultimate goal is just to keep them alive. Although I feel the Ficus is doomed, as I decided to mist it after potting, and accidentally grabbed my Febreeze instead of my misting bottle...Don't ask why they were on the same shelf. (Stupidity comes to mind)
I flushed the crap out of it with water, but I'm not too optimistic. On a brighter note, It sure smells nice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronf_gw(z4 MN)

The succulent looks like a species of Senecio, but, I'm not sure which species, perhaps barbentonicus.

Ron

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 2:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nelsoncastro

Senecio, is a genus of the daisy family (Asteraceae) that includes ragworts and groundsels. The flower heads are normally rayed, completely yellow, and the heads are borne in branched clusters. Senecio is one of the largest genera of flowering plants,and despite the separation of many species into other genera it still contains 1250 species of varied form, including leaf, stem and tuber succulents, annuals, perennials, aquatics, climbers, shrubs and small trees. Some species produce natural biocides (especially alkaloids) to deter or even kill animals that would eat them.

It looks like Senecio articulatus.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 3:16AM
More Discussions
Weeping Willow....
The old Thread that I posted on this Weeping Willow...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Need help Identifying this...
I recently got this Bonsai as a gift and would like...
kcolborne
Need help identifying
I bought a small tree from ikea last week (I know that's...
znem1987
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Sad Green Isle Ficus, Happy Mistletoe Ficus
Hi everyone, A week ago, in a fit of the winter blues,...
Greenflat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™