Bonsai Help for a Noobie

jac06kFebruary 19, 2013

I've always wanted a Bonsai for a while and my girlfriend surprised me this valentine's day with a Bonsai. She had it shipped from a place, don't know where from. It didn't tell me what type of bonsai it was but with enough research I narrowed it down to a Juniper. It's small and was delivered in a moderate oval pot that was packed with only black dirt, however, the pot did have drains. My biggest issue is that my apartment does not face the sun at all, no matter the time of day. I've been trying to see what the best solution would be to keep my bonsai healthy. Putting it outside is not an option and my balcony is only good for fresh air. Its winter in Georgia which this time around is cold but no snow. I was hearing mixed reviews about grow lights but it seems like its my only option. I've had the bonsai for 4 days now and I'm noticing it is starting to get some brown/yellow leaves. I watered it once a day for 2 days, keeping the soil moist. However, the soil has stayed moist and I haven't had a need to water it since. Please help me save this little guy. It's my first and I know its typical to lose one/a few as a beginner but I want to keep this one alive if at all possible. I'm ordering a grow light tonight since I have no other option. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks a bunch!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

jac,

check out the "Grow Under Lights" Forum. They may help you with information. Aloha

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 9:13PM
raiun42(8B)

Here in N.Fl. I keep a small Wrightia Religosa in an old aquarium with a 26watt spiral compact flourescent 5000K (reptile) bulb allmost touching the top leaves. It is doing better that it ever did trying to bring it in every time the temp goes below 65F.
Never tried an indoor Juniper. You might try something like that. Junipers don't need a lot of water.
FWIW I see a lot of "Bonsai" inside stores that are well on their way to death ,before anyone ever takes them home.
Good Luck
R

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 10:06AM
ApprenticeGardener(7b or 8)

Water the juniper every other day. Use a light spray to make sure that all the soil if moistened. The extra water should drain out of the holes at the bottom as soon as the soil is completely moist. If it does not drain, then the holes are clogged for some reason and need to be unclogged. This may necessitate taking the bonsai out of the pot and repotting, preferably with a bonsai potting soil. If you are around Atlanta, plan on going to the monestary in Conyers to get the soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the Monestary of the Holy Spirit

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Rosemary Bonsai
I'm fairly new to bonsai and I have a question about...
satisdee
New nursery stock Japanese Maple Shania help pls
Hi everyone... I was at a local nursery this weekend...
RGodman
Will a Holly. make a good Bosnia?
I just bought a holly in a six inch pot. It just says...
plantermunn
Anybody grow mini bonsai Wisteria from seed?
I thought I had American but I now know it is either...
rubyhum
training pots
hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has ever...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™