New variegated serissa dropping leaves?

Pallas_AthenaMarch 21, 2014

I purchased a variegated serissa from a Farmer's Market in Florida last weekend, because the seller seemed very knowledgable and said that it was an easy plant for beginners.

It is blooming quite beautifully, but I have noticed that every day it is dropping 1-2 leaves, despite not letting the soil dry out. I have it in indirect sunlight with a humidity tray, and I water the base. What can I do to keep the leaves on my beautiful plant?

Additionally, I will be traveling back to Ohio by car, and I was wondering how it would be best to transport it, and where to put it in the house. Like I said, I really don't want to kill it--it is my first bonsai, as I am largely a cacti and succulent collector. Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moochinka

The seller lied - it is anything but an easy tree and you were the victim of a greedy seller. Anyhow, put it in direct sun all day long. Yes. And don't water from the bottom. Nature doesn't. Do put the pot up on pebbles so water doesn't get wicked inside at all - it's for humidity only (so make it wide if you can). Water inside (from the bottom, or too often from the top) will rot the roots.

Great name you chose :-) - Kalispera!

This post was edited by moochinka on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:48

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 10:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cadillactaste

Also know...many throw these out thinking they are dead...when in fact they are just stressed. Take in mind that when in stress and lacking leaves it will need less watering. But...give it time and don't over water it.

Very finicky bonsai...just be patient...and hopefully you'll have success with it.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
New Bonsai Azalea Budding in Winter- Halp!
I just got an Azalea bonsai for Christmas and it was...
emcc123
Anybody grow mini bonsai Wisteria from seed?
I thought I had American but I now know it is either...
rubyhum
Fukien Tea - Making a come back!!!
Hello Everyone, this is a wonderful story. Back in...
halocline
great nebari
Hello everyone, I am starting to experiment with ways...
halocline
Field growing question
I am planting a few trees this year (for the first...
RGodman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™