bonsai without the tree?

paul_(z5 MI)March 11, 2014

Came up in a conversation the other day and hoping someone here might know the correct term for such.

I realize traditional bonsai utilizes a woody plant such as a tree or shrub. However, I recall seeing plantings done using grasses or other plants as the center of focus with a very "bonsai-like" feel to them. Unsure whether would be considered a form of saikei -- though they were not landscapes -- or just a form of nontraditional bonsai (which might have its own term) or something else entirely.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cadillactaste

Not sure...I know ones at bonsainut.com call something similar to what you describe...as accent plants. Even have a section just on that.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 7:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CowThing(9b)

Accent plants might be what you're thinking of, but they aren't ever the center of focus, although they are often beautiful enough to have pictures taken of them alone. Accent plants are usually grasses or flowering annual plants, and they are planted in small styled pots much like bonsai are. They are allowed to grow naturally with no pruning or styling, they represent other plants that might be growing near a tree in nature. In displays they are placed to the side of a bonsai.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
my bonsai lossing its green leaves !
Hello dears , I've brought a very lovely bonsai tree...
sara03
From seedling
I was just wondering how do I grow my plant into a...
Shivam Shetty
New Bonsai Azalea Budding in Winter- Halp!
I just got an Azalea bonsai for Christmas and it was...
emcc123
Japanese Maple Bonsai Tree Started to Sprout
Hello, I am a first time bonsai grower and I bought...
bgardne7
New Chinese elm
Hi, I received a nice chinese elm bonsai as a gift....
doomahx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™