Yamadori Collecting Question! Help!

whnthewallsbend(7)March 7, 2013

I recently came across an excellent yamadori specimen on a hike - but its rooted and growing in a huge rotten log. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this situation? I wasnt sure if I could extract the plant from the wood while still keeping enough of the root structure intact. Im worried the process will damage the plant too much for it to be viable to survive. Any and all advice would be amazingly helpful! Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marc206

yes im guessing it might be a hemlock. do you have a picture of it. I just got a hemlock from a rotted stump near cedar river in renton, wa. Glad to hear your from seattle. I would like to go with you next time for some yamadori hunting. I have no close bonsai friends.

But the proper procedure would be to bring some gloves and a long spade shovel and just try to pull out as much of the long taproot that is going down the stump trying to look for water. In my case I found a long taproot as tall, if not taller than the tree itself.

The hemlock I got is at my blog. check it out and contact me, I would like to hunt with you.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 2:34AM
More Discussions
Weeping Willow....
The old Thread that I posted on this Weeping Willow...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
my bonsai lossing its green leaves !
Hello dears , I've brought a very lovely bonsai tree...
sara03
Japanese Maple Bonsai Tree Started to Sprout
Hello, I am a first time bonsai grower and I bought...
bgardne7
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Goji berry bonsai
I recently purchased a goji berry and was wondering...
Joshua Hughes
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™