Acorus gramineus

liquidamberApril 5, 2008

The nomenclature seems confused; A.g. pusillus/pussillius/ minimus and Aureus. Whichever, I'd like to grow a modest amount of both the green and golden varieties of the dwarf kind as groundcovers around bonsai. Extensive searching hasn't turned up seeds, so I'm guessing that the preferred means of propagation is division of rhizomes. Anyone have info on good cheap sources, techniques, rapidity of spread and division. I've already ordered two from Arrowhead, but I'll be wanting to buy some to establish a "mother" patch, I guess.

Thanks, Jeremy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krystyna1937

It is my understanding that it is not a good idea to add ground cover to bonsai trees. The roots of these plants will compete with the tree for limited nutrients in a small available area to the detriment of the tree. A patch or two carefully kept in check would be ok.
Moss is also not recommended for two reasons: 1) If you cover the whole surface with it, you will cut off much of the oxygen the tree's roots need. 2) If you let it climb onto the trunk of the tree you could kill the tree because, while on a tree in the forest moss is not a problem due to its size, tiny tentacles (roots?) penetrate under the bark. On a little bonsai this can lead to a peeling of the bark and the eventual death of the tree.
Krys

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 2:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krystyna1937

Me again,
I just read my own message and there's an error: When I wrote "a patch or two carefully kept in check would be ok", that phrase was supposed to apply to moss. I inserted it in the wrong place.
I have no idea how agressive the roots of the plants you want may be but you should take great care.
Krys

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Pepper Bonsai help
Hi, I've just received some Bolivian Rainbow Pepper...
Artemis
New to bonsai
Hey there. I am relatively new to indoor plants although...
ecj2015
Does My Bonsai Need Repotting?
Hello, I got a Japanese Juniper bonsai for Christmas,...
juleslynn44
Tips for new owner of an Australian Brush Cherry?
I came across a 18-inch-tall Australian Brush Cherry...
Ohiofem
5 Cedar Trees
Thanks to the advice of coppice, I looked in Craigslist...
ridgie
Sponsored Products
Potted Acorus Grass with White Vase
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™