Bonsai F.benjamina after only 17-20 years or so

stanofhApril 28, 2008

Again,they dont get all super jungly here with aerial rootage.Almost none as a matter of fact. I planted it on some limestone rock sold for fish aquariums as "base rock".Old,soft as a sponge,weightless, and very picturesque. I have other trees mounted on that type of rock.Moss will cover it muy pronto.Informal Bonsai.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

Are you TRYING to make us miserably jealous? Your trees are gorgeous!

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 12:44PM
stanofh

Thank you Luci. Just trying to share the joy-lol.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 7:17PM
tanyag

Superb! I never thought I'd look forward to being 20 years older, but if all I do now produces that, I can't wait!

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 9:24PM
tanyag

I looked at your picture again this morning and noticed that your roots have the same bulbous look that mine has now, only my trunk is much much smaller. Did your root right about the soil level get bulbous like that and the rest of the tree caught up or did they all kind of grow together? My trunk is tiny compared to the huge system of roots at the soil line - disproportionately so. I have been thinking of trying to get feeder roots higher up and whacking off these big roots, but if the rest of the tree will eventually catch up, I think I can be patient. Any ideas, stanofh?

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 6:21AM
stanofh

Take heart all. Since this particular tree was bought as a bonsia from the exclusive world renowned grower.. Home Depot.lol. In a tiny 6x9 pot mounted on a small rock-long since swallowed up by the rootage. That large rock i added as i said..and it's almost invisible now.
Let the tree catch up,Tanyag. It will once you lift the tree or keep it contained. Lifted roots slow down..the balloon ficus roots are always underground..funny how they revert to normal after a few years above ground..looking more surface root,less"fat".
btw,the tree now is about 30" tall and in a 10 x 16" pot.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Pepper Bonsai help
Hi, I've just received some Bolivian Rainbow Pepper...
alouyakis
Rosemary Bonsai
I'm fairly new to bonsai and I have a question about...
satisdee
Need help identifying
I bought a small tree from ikea last week (I know that's...
znem1987
aerial roots
I have a sheflera bonsai that sprouted a number of...
davidfromdetroit
my bonsai lossing its green leaves !
Hello dears , I've brought a very lovely bonsai tree...
sara03
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™