Q for 'expert' daff growers :0)

phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)April 30, 2007

TRY AS I MIGHT, I can't remember WHO it was that posted the names of her fav daffodils (& gave specifics, etc!) Seems to me she had experience with HUNDREDS of daffodil cultivars and knew which were superseded by others, etc. Also, which stayed vividly colored and didn't bleach out. I had printed up her comments, then lost them!

I am thinking of putting a BIG order in of many DIFFERENT kinds of daffodils this fall-like maybe 200 or so. I would probably order through Van Engelen or John Scheepers, possibly Colorblends' Daffodil Depot. I want UNIQUE daffs that the average person maybe hasn't seen! And I want them for the vase! I have decided against bothering with tulips, as I want something that will perennialize better.

I LOVE the doubles and split corona/butterfly types especially, but also would ABSOLUTELY LOVE fragrant ones! VIVID colors are a BIG PLUS.

My bouquets aren't all that tall, so I DON'T have to stick with the tallest varieties. Also, EARLY bloomers would be great, as my husband complains that everyone in the neighborhood has daffs by now and the ones we have so far are just now starting to bloom.

Of course, even if it wasn't you who posted, I would love to hear from anyone! Thanks so much! :0) Phyl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

You might move this post to Discussions;
this is the Gallery for photos!

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 2:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oriunda(UK & Italy)

Here are two UK-based websites that I use for ordering more unusual species. Whilst they may not deliver to where you are, at least you will have some names and pics to choose from. It's too early to be ordering daffs, but I will be ordering from these companies this year to add a bit of variety.

http://shop.gee-tee.co.uk
www.miniaturebulbs.co.uk (this one deals in dwarf varieties)

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Transplanting old bulbs
transplanting daffodil and other bulbs When is a good...
bigcrow007
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™