Burning Bush Top

hatflyerApril 12, 2013

I have a burning bush whose top needs work. Does the highlighted, thicker top branch seem too thick to bend so it is more upright, in line with the trunk? Or should I shoot for a crown, broom-like style?

The thickness of that top branch is about 3/8". I guess I would have to saw a notch in it so it can be set vertical?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It needs some serious pruning and a lot of reduction in the upper 1/3 of the plant. Your first chore should be getting that area where you have more than 6 branches emanating from essentially the same spot. That's going to swell up like a balloon & ruin your tree.

PS - your plant tends to make lots of branches from every pruning cut. Make sure your tree has only branch bifurcations (crotches) not trifurcations (like a trident) or more branches originating from the same place.

Al

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 3:40PM
hatflyer

yeah, the branches are there mostly because I can't decide on the top. ;) also the right side is rather bare, and I'm hoping for some buds to pop in that direction before I get rid of some of them.

no suggestion on the choice of top?

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 11:06PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Can't tell by the picture, but the top is already much too heavy. You want to substantially reduce the top of the tree, eliminating the heavy branches and getting to work on ramification. If you don't reduce that bundle of branches just below the blue arrow this year, you're going to end up with no solutions other than carving it out later, or chopping the tree back below that swelling and putting it in the ground for a while before building a whole new top.

Al

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 5:29PM
Derrick.Shepard(Maine)

That is sweet. I would like to see picture this fall. Currently I have a burning brush as well. I dug it out about 5 years ago bare root. Could not salvage any roots. I planted it in the middle of my yard its recovered nicely and next year plan on digging it out. and working on it in a pot. though I was the only one seeing potential with this species., Awesome dude!

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 2:46AM
More Discussions
New to bonsai
Hey there. I am relatively new to indoor plants although...
ecj2015
My first bonsai. What is it?
Bought this at our local chain store:-) the tag said...
1nogreenthumb
help my bonsai is dying!!!!!
Hello, I am in desperate need of help. I am a begginer...
dayscraze
making bonsai leaves smaller
i heard somewhere that if you cut back the leaves on...
raregreen
5 Cedar Trees
Thanks to the advice of coppice, I looked in Craigslist...
ridgie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™