Tulips, daffodils and I think Fritillaria meleagris

sydneye(7b)January 17, 2011

I planted about 100 bulbs back in October with everything ranging from Darwin hybrid tulips, to narcissus thalia and narcissus trumpet, fritillaria meleagris, Allium and Scilla Siberica. I noticed a few days ago that some of the bulbs are starting to peak out, not the bulb itself, but, the green shoots. We've had quite a few really cold snaps hit, and some of those were just after I planted them (the ground froze and we got down to about 10 degrees or so just before Thanksgiving), and I am wondering... What do I do? Should these already be popping up? Do I need to cover them with more bark? This is my first year planting bulbs, but, from my diagram (and I wrote it down), to me it looks like some of my daffodils, fritillaria and the tulips are popping up early. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

They're a lot smarter than most people give them credit for. In my 4 decades of gardening, I've seen bulbs be seriously damaged by cold weather ONE time, and that was the devestating April 2007 freeze, where a period lengthy period of 80 plus degree weather was followed by a hard freeze that saw temps plunge into the single digits. When that happened, the bulbs weren't just popping out of the ground, most things were already budded (tulips, alliums) or in full blooms (daffs, hyacinths).

They'll be fine, but you can throw some extra mulch over them if you want to, it won't hurt anything.

Bookmark   January 17, 2011 at 2:24PM
sydneye(7b)

Thank you!! I just didn't know if that was normal. And it's not like you can stop a bulb from coming up if it wants to, just didn't know if it was caused by user error. ;) I will just try and relax!

Bookmark   January 17, 2011 at 5:14PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

No panic needed on the Fritillaria. They're hardy to zone 4. And Scilla sibirica is OK to zone 3. :-)))

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 1:24AM
gardengal48

I agree with the above comments - the bulbs are performing just as they should in western Washington. Top growth of bulbs is typically unaffected by freezing temperatures in winter, should it appear. Depending on their aspect and our weather over the next month, you might even see some blooms from the narcissus in late February/early March.

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™