Foreced Daffodils bulbs CAN survive pictures included

hostalover360(4)January 20, 2011

I wanted to make a post and give some hope to people wishing to put once forced bulbs in the garden by telling a story I had this the Yellow Daffodils to the left in the picture above. These were your typical foreced daffodils that can found in a large chain of stores. They were sitting on a rack selling for Easter which in that year was in late March I believe. I bought one, enjoyed it indoors then right afterwords I stuck it outside and buried the pot partly in the ground. Well it was left that way accidentally through the winter, un protected sicking out of the ground in a Wisconsin winter. When Spring came I was very surprised to see I forgot them! I slipped it out of the pot and planted it back where it was and this is what they looked like later that Spring, so not only did they survive the next year after being forced they bloomed! I think the main reason why these survived is becuase they were on a southern wall, but this is my story, so if you ever get forced bulbs especially Daffodils don't be afraid to try them in the garden!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

That's great! Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 7:36PM
freezengirl(3aMN and 5AK)

I purchased a bag of daffodils at the hardware store just before winter hit, long after they should have been planted. I tried "chipping" them to force them to make bulbils. I threw them under the kitchen sink in baggies full of vermiculite where it is fairly cool temperatures. I just checked them last night and all kinds of baby bulbils have started! If it takes a few years to reach full size no problem...

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 9:24PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

They look great. If that's what they look like after forcing I bet this spring they will look amazing!

I used to have a neighbor who would take home all the faded easter flowers from his church. The whole side of his house was lined with bunches of daffodils, tulips and hyacinths.... if you have the space, any bulb with some life left in it is worth a shot.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Worsleya procera
I posted this on the Amaryllis forum, but wanted to...
bluebonsai101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™