Could this be a Clivia?

roseseekJanuary 2, 2013

A good friend gifted me this plant, but was unsure what it is. The thing is healthy and looks like a Clivia with extremely wide leaves to me, but I can't find anything on line to identify it. Might anyone please be able to provide a name for it so I can learn more about it? Thanks! Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Maybe a Haemanthus? Not a bulb I know personally.

Here is a link that might be useful: Haemanthus albiflos

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 6:59AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Try Haemanthus coccineus. Leaves over winter, and summer dormant (essential). Flowers before the leaves emerge. Usually found just under the surface. Don't like to be disturbed - think 'years' and 'big pot' - or a dry south-facing clay bank. For zone 10 it should be happy outdoors.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 10:44PM
rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)

Definitely not clivia. If that's coccineus, then the bulbs I purchased last year were mismarked. The leaves on mine were supported on a long stem.

I checked the leaves on my albiflos, and they are very similar, so that may well be what you have. Can the person you got it from help ID it? If it's albiflos, don't overexpose it to sunlight.

Is it my imagination, or are the leaves slightly variegated?

--Rr

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 7:25AM
roseseek

Thank you! Unfortunately, the person who gave it to me doesn't 'speak plant'. He is a gifted animal breeder and can keep pretty much any plant alive. He just isn't tuned into them enough to remember much about them. Here are a few photos taken a little while ago. Hopefully, they'll help answer some questions about it. The thing appears to be bulbous to me. The foliage isn't striated underneath, nor variegated on their surfaces. There is a sort of embossed texture to the upper surfaces, but not heavily. Kim

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 2:01PM
stampstudio

Your plant looks like haemanthus. Nickname the blood lily. Mine is alba the white variety and blooms look like a shaving brush. Quite pretty
Bill Kemp

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™