Growing parts of bulbs

FargaudJanuary 23, 2012

Hi,

I have purchased some Dutch Iris bulb and was wondering whether I could grow pieces/parts of bulb rather than entire/full bulbs? What I mean is: can I cut the bulb in half (horizontally/vertically), in quarters and still hope a flower could grow out of that bulb?

I would love to get some pointers/literature reference on bulb structure and what parts of the bulb are essential for the growing of a plant.

Thanks in advance!

AF

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hi Fargaud and welcome to Garden Web and The Bulb Forum.

was wondering whether I could grow pieces/parts of bulb rather than entire/full bulbs?
Yes you can.

What I mean is: can I cut the bulb in half (horizontally/vertically), in quarters and still hope a flower could grow out of that bulb?
You would need to cut it vertically and be careful that each newly cut piece would have a portion of the basal plate.

The basal plate is the small root area on the bottom of the bulb.

For several years now I've been wanting to try my hand at propagating daffodils by division of the basal sections of the parent bulb, but just haven't gotten to it. Maybe 2012 will be the year for me to try.

The link below tells about the various propagation methods, along with good pics. I'm not all that familiar with dutch iris bulbs, other than I know they have basal plates just like daffodils, so they should be able to be propagated the same way. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck and if you try it, please try and report back to us on how it goes.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation of Daffodils

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 9:04AM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

Just to clarify.... cutting bulbs is done to multiply some varieties, but the way you are describing would mean no blooms the next spring.

Most spring bulbs have a flower ready to go inside the bulb. Cutting the bulb as described will most likely destroy the flower bud.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 4:23PM
calistoga_al

Any of several methods may be used to multiply your stock, but all will require a year or two for the bulb to grow large enough to produce a flower. Al

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 8:50AM
More Discussions
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™