forcing hyacinths--container?

vaherbmomJanuary 14, 2014

I'm following the directions at oldhousegardens for forcing my Lady Derby hyacinths but wonder what containers others have used for this? They need to be suspended just above the water in the container. I put them in the tops of baby food and olive jars this morning--will that work?

thanks for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Hyacinth vases and pots for the extras. I fear that your smaller jars might tip over with a full grown flowering hyacinth in them.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 11:42AM
vaherbmom

I was hoping I could move them once they start to grow. Apparently they need to stay stay out of the water for an extended period?

Thanks for the pic-I will have to look for something like that.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 12:25PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I'm not sure what you mean by 'Apparently they need to stay stay out of the water for an extended period?' Certainly the base of the bulb should never touch the water. They will reach roots down into the water if they are a fraction of an inch clear of it. It's quite hard to move them once they start rooting because the roots break really easily and they are difficult to get into a new container. I would try to get them into more suitable containers before they start to root.

Here are 2010s Hyacinths just set in their vases in October. Note the root development before they have even begun to put up greenery.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 12:52PM
vaherbmom

thanks, that's helpful. I think I have mine about 1/2 inch above the water so I need to add more.

Where do you find vases like this? I might be able to use my son's Bodum coffee pot for one bulb, tee hee. Not sure what to do with the other two.

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 10:00AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I am in the UK and these vases are available in garden centres, florists etc. I bought mine at the local market.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyacinth vases

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
How to plant Crinums with leaves
Hey all, Just received some mail order crinums which...
jscaldwell
Relocating daffodils
I have a number of daffodil clumps that are either...
madabouteu
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™