Is My Amaryllis a GONER?

bosewichte(7a/8b)January 16, 2011

I bought an amaryllis bulb last December and placed it on the windowsill of my sun room - a fairly chilly room that gets lots of sun in winter/spring but heats up nicely in summer/fall. I had green growth almost immediately, then a beautiful flower that eventually died back. I then had a SECOND growth, another flower, and then it died back. Since March or April 2010, I've had no new growth. I keep the soil moist, but I'm afraid of it rotting the bulb. Shouldn't I have some sort of new growth by now? Is it too late? Is there anything I can do to salvage it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Amaryllis bulbs need a cool, dry period from early fall until about December to "rest" for the upcoming blooming season. For this dormant period, I put mine in my basement and stop watering until I see new growth, usually a few months later.

After blooming in the winter/spring the bulb can be put outside in the garden or left in the pot in a mostly sunny area. A little fertilizer over the summer is a good idea, so you get lush green growth. Then in late summer to early fall, start the dormant period by bringing indoors to a cool spot, and withholding water until the green growth dries up, at which time it can be cut off just above the bulb. When new growth starts, bring up from the basement, put in a warm, sunny window and start to water again, just enought to keep the soil fairly moist, not soaking wet or it will rot. You should then get new flower buds forming.

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 9:56AM
bosewichte(7a/8b)

Thanks! I'll go put it down in the basement until spring...hopefully it will come back to life in a few months!

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 5:29PM
radarcontactlost(8)

I hate to be disagreeable, but most "amaryllis" or hippeastrum need no dormancy period. They can be evergreen in mild climates and flower sporadically. A lot of people force them into dormancy, myself included, to induce flowering. But by no means do they require it. Hippeastrum Papilio is a great example of an evergreen species and should not be induced into a dormancy as that would actually harm the bulb. The methods described by ontnative should would at getting forced blooms though. Good Luck.

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Panting Bulbs among Lily of the Valley
Can you plant bulbs among Lily of the Valley or ferns?...
edlincoln
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™