Bonsai going black

steph1986April 18, 2013

I have had my bonsai (Ficus) since December and it has been going ok. But now it has started to loose all its leaves and go black where the new roots are coming through. why is this happening?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

??? "..... where the new roots are coming through." What does this mean?

Picture?

Al

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 4:42PM
jimantpugs

My Birch Tree grouping is showing some dead branches which I have cut off. Noticed some brown insects, should i spray my tree?

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 11:07PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It's common and characteristic of Betula to have branches die back for seemingly no reason. But for trees in general, shedding of parts usually means there is a cultural problem. Your job is to determine whether or not the die back is 'birch' being true to its habits or whether it's the result of something cultural the planting doesn't like.

Re the bugs: the first step would be to identify them, and determine whether they are harmful or beneficial. Then you would determine the least noxious way to bring them under control. If you can't identify, yet are convinced they're doing damage, I've had good results with Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 insect/disease/mite control. It has a systemic insecticide (imidacloprid), a systemic fungicide (tebuconazole), and a miticide I can't remember (Tau-fluvalinate or something similar to that spelling).

Al

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
Bonsai Beginner help: Juniper, Eugenia, and Fukien Tea
Hi there, I'm new to the Bonsai world (currently succulent...
DavidL.ca
Check out my new Bonsai Tee Design
Hi guys, I made a new tee design for bonsai lovers. Please...
antony2418
Rosemary Bonsai
I'm fairly new to bonsai and I have a question about...
satisdee
Will a Holly. make a good Bosnia?
I just bought a holly in a six inch pot. It just says...
plantermunn
My bonsai seedling
Okay so I recieved a bonsai kit for Christmas from...
mikyt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™