Information on Summer Daffodils

homemommyJanuary 24, 2009

I am thinking about buying some Summer Daffodils this year, to bloom well, in the summer :-)

However I read that they will bloom in the spring in years to follow, because it is the planting time that has them come up in the summer, not anything too special about the bulb...

So.. Will any Daffodil bloom in the summer if planted in the spring? Or are there only certain varieties? And... can you dig them up and replant them in the spring, storing them overwinter? And how would you recommend storing them?

I have a lot of spring Daffodils, I like the idea of having a few more in the summmer, but I don't really want to invest too much if it is a one shot / one year deal...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

It's not exactly 'high summer' for blooming but N poeticus varieties are usually the last ones up without intervention by a gardener. (Mid to late spring/early summer) Small trumpets and a pleasant scent. They're hardy to z3 and will naturalise.

For me, they're usually out with the Paeonies and pixie lilies.

I have had other varieties flowering at mid summer - Tete a tete and Sun Disc - but that's definitely not an annual event. The Tetes had been forced in a tiny pot and died down when I bought them - then came away in the garden again. I'm not sure what inspired the Sun Discs but, again, they were in cramped conditions.

Bookmark   January 24, 2009 at 7:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

There is some information out there on the specifically marketed as 'summer blooming' daffs... "Summer Cheer", etc., but no mention at all that you can count on a June/July bloom year after year. My suspicion is that they might revert and bloom in the spring although I have nothing to back that up. In looking around at the various mail order companies, the price seems to be about $3 per bulb.

I know here in my zone 4, if I planted any of the usual daffodil bulbs in the spring, they might develop some short foliage over the course of the first summer but wouldn't bloom. They'd fall back into the usual pattern and bloom the following spring. And with the weather here, usually with late springs, I've had ordinary daffs start to bloom the end of May and on in to June anyway.

Bookmark   January 25, 2009 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™