Tulips

Patches(Southern Ontario-7)January 15, 2013

With the warmer weather this past weekend I notice tulip tips popping through my balcony containers (north exposure). The weekend weather was an average of 62F here and today it's only 28F. Will they survive?? I'm a bit worried. About the gardening zone, I'm in Niagara Falls, Ontario and I THINK the gardening zone map shows zone 6b or 7 but haven't confirmed. I'll do that soon. In the meantime if anyone else is in area do you have ewperience planting bulbs, TIA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stimpy926

Yes, the tulips will survive. The unseasonable warmth has made a lot of bulbs move, but they should shut down now that it is cold. I would put some leaf mulch or some potting soil around the green tips to help prevent scorch.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 2:32PM
Patches(Southern Ontario-7)

Thanks a lot for the reply. I added some potting soil on top as you suggested. Not too many popped up so that's a good thing!

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 3:48PM

It was 52F last night at 8:40 pm and this morning a balmy 57!! Weird weather for January 30th. Thunder showers expected. It was nice to see the snow disappear.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 7:47AM
freki(5a)

patches, I've found tulips remarkably tolerant of temp variation in spring. I'm only a bit colder than you, here in Hamilton, & mine are in the ground, but they've taken a lot of abuse and come through like champs.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 2:55PM

Thanks Freki...that's good to know. I also had a friend who gardens up in Orillia who told me the same thing. She says the biggest threat to her tulip bed is squirrels!

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 7:46AM
More Discussions
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™