Moving an asiatic lily

meganpnwJanuary 27, 2011

I have a beautiful Landini lily, and a gorgeous Jacob Cline bee balm. Separately they are lovely - the way I have them planted together is horrible. Since I missed the boat on moving my lily in the fall, is it possible and/or advisable for me to move it in the spring? If so, any tips? Or do I just need to "enjoy" my clashing color combination one more year and move the lily this fall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I see no problem moving it this time of year. In most soils you should be able to move it with soil attached with no stress to the plant. Al

Bookmark   January 28, 2011 at 8:31AM
gardengal48

Since lilies are just as likely to be planted in spring as they are in fall - and still bloom that season - there is no reason you cannot move it now.

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 10:48AM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

You'd never be able to even dig through our soil now, it is still frozen rock hard.

Bookmark   February 18, 2011 at 2:09AM
gardengal48

It is pretty unusual for zone 7 soils to freeze to any significant degree - a few inches at most and the temperatures must remain well below freezing (even during the day) to prevent any kind of thawing. Here in zone 8, it would require an extended period with temps in the low 20's for the soil to freeze deeper than an inch. And even that thaws as soon as it warms up during the day.

The weather in your area is pretty variable right now, but I'd suspect your brief 'tropical' spell (73F for 2/18 - I wish!!) is going to thaw things up quickly :-)

Bookmark   February 18, 2011 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
av3108
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™