Help with Bowiea volubilis look-alike, sort of, ID

GenepaulJanuary 20, 2011

Hello Bulbophiles,

I have acquired a plant I would like to have identified. It was field collected in SA and, in all general aspects, looks and grows very much like Bowiea volubilis except: 1) after years of growth, the largest bulbs are only about half the size of a golf ball and remain just barely exposed rather than on the surface like B. volubilis, and 2) the stem remains much smaller and much more highly divided (feathery, very showy) than B. volubilis. If it were a ssp. of B. volubilis, the ssp. epithet might be "nana" or "compacta", but these names are just conjecture. Does anyone have any idea of what this plant is? B. volubilis is listed as the only species of the genus with no recognized ssp. Does any have any information on ssp. - perhaps this is an undescribed ssp. or species? Is anyone growing any plant like this? I don't have any photos of this plant and if I took some this time of year, all you would see is the brown, shriveled tops of several dormant bulbs at soil (pot) level. It will be dormant for the next few months, so I guess that I will have to re-post with pictures later. When growing, it looks EXACTLY like a dwarf, highly branched climbing.

Genepaul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayman

My copy of Bryan's Bulbs (pub. 2000) lists 4 species of Bowiea: gariepensis, intricata, kilimandscharica and volubilis. I don't know whether the other three are currently maintained as species, but of them kilimandscharica is said to be close to vulubilis, but with much smaller bulbs.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now
Hi All, I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale...
fruits_veggies
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
Transplanting old bulbs
transplanting daffodil and other bulbs When is a good...
bigcrow007
When do oriental hybrid lilies bloom, i have some bulbs in pot outside
I brought a pot of 4 hybrid oriental lilies from home...
tlbean2004
Relocating daffodils
I have a number of daffodil clumps that are either...
madabouteu
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Natural Fibers 400 NF441C 5' x 8' Brown Rug
$200.00 | PlushRugs
Tropitone Cast Aluminum 48 Round Clear Top Dining Table
$641.00 | LuxeDecor
Triarch International Milan 4-light Brushed Steel Semi-Flush
Overstock.com
Pre-owned 19th Century Swedish Gustavian Doors - A Pair
$995.00 | Chairish
Calphalon Simply Enamel Nonstick 13 in. Round Grill Pan - 1756548
$39.99 | Hayneedle