Hard to grow bulbs in San Diego area?

jardinerowaJanuary 29, 2013

Hello!

OK so I've been gardening in San Diego and loving the seemingly endless growing year but I'm new to bulbs in San Diego. I took advantage of growing some of the mediterranean climate bulbs like Watsonia, Amaryllis, and other bulbs like Anemones and Ranunculus.
I know the big issue here is chilling and that's why some bulbs don't do well here. I just bought some spring bulbs (dahlias, glads, and lilies.) and wonder if I need to treat these special. I remember reading somewhere about the Byzantine Gladiolus being the preferred for this climate but I'm not sure why the regular glads and dahlias don't work as well here, or do they? Thanks!

Z

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

No special prep needed before planting glads or dahlias. Glads will come back each year. Some of my dahlias come back each year. Some daffodils like Ice Follies will come back but not all. I've had good luck with some species tulips, tulipa clusiana and saxatilis. Other bulbs that work for me are freesias, dutch iris, and babiana. I've had absolutely no luck with lilies - I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 9:22PM
jardinerowa

socalgal,

Thanks for the information, good to hear that most will come back. That is strange that the lilies have caused you problems. Were they asiatic or regular? I'll try them and we'll see. Lilies worked for me in the Pacific Northwest, of course San Diego is a different ball game. Thanks again!

Z

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 2:34PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Lilium formosum might work for you. Needs light/dappled shade. Flowers in summer.

You could try the 'light shade' habitat for orientals, too. They seem to last longer if they just get morning sun and then light shade.

The regals and asiatics do better with more sun, though. And deep, cool, free-draining soil high in humus is often preferred.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 8:04PM
jardinerowa

Thanks for the responses! If the dahlias work this year here in the San Diego area, then I'll be so happy because I loved them when I was in the Pacific Northwest.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
How to plant Crinums with leaves
Hey all, Just received some mail order crinums which...
jscaldwell
Recommendations for mainly crocus bulb supplier
Short story: New house, few bulbs (almost none) I'd...
dbarron
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Transplanting old bulbs
transplanting daffodil and other bulbs When is a good...
bigcrow007
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™