where to order alstroemeria

Prettypetals_GA_7-8January 22, 2009

Hi everyone, I have some alstoemeria aka peruvian or princess lilies and I would like some more. I was wondering if any of you order from any particular place. The ones I buy at Kroger are real tall but mine I have at home are only about 18 inches tall. Let me know if you know where to get them. Thanks a bunch, Judy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I also responded to your post on the Lilies forum, so might want to check there as well. Alstroemeria are not true bulbs - what appear to be bulbs or tubers are actually just enlarged or swollen roots that are water storage organs. Alstroemeria are available as started plants (in containers) or by seed. If you do a google search, you will turn up a few online sources - Plant Delights Nursery in NC has one of the better selections of hardy alstroemeria......not all varieties are and the ones you find as cut flowers in the grocery or at florists are unfortunately not. Seeds are available through Thompson and Morgan and Jelitto, but these will be hardy hybrid mixes, not named forms.

I've attached an older posting on this forum that explains it a bit better :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Old alstroemeria post

Bookmark   January 23, 2009 at 8:58AM
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

Thanks gardengal, I had seen a couple places that sold them but was looking for a specific color. Now that I think about it the colors of the ones I was looking for are the ones from Kroger and they might not come in those colors for the shorter varieties. Our Lowes has sold them some but they are always the same color. A great local nursery has sold them 2 years but didn't last year so I will check with them to see if they can get a few at least. Thanks for your help. Judy

Bookmark   January 23, 2009 at 11:20AM
anza2821(9ca)

Hello

I did some research a couple of years ago because I was looking for nice tall yellow gold alstros that I see at my grocery store. The tall alstromeria you see at the grocery store and florist cannot be bought as plants. It is patented I think.

The tallest yellow alstro plant that I bought was at my local nursery. It was called the "third harmonic". It has an orange yellow bloom. The one gallon pot cost me $15.

I also bought a yellow alstro plant from a catalog . It was a total disappointment because it had only three little roots that never matured into a plant.

Bookmark   January 29, 2009 at 11:13AM
gardengal48

The ligtu and Dr. Salter hybrids, which can be obtained easily by seed (if not by the plant), grow quite tall - upto 3' or so - and are generally in the yellow, gold and orange colors. These also tend to be some of the more aggressively spreading and reseeding forms so be aware!

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 10:29AM
More Discussions
spreaders
pushkinia, scillas, aka chionodoxa, muscari. what nice...
daves10z7annv
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
Sponsored Products
Bramble - Monaco Sideboard in Multi Color - 25612S
Great Furniture Deal
Tender Shoots Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Black Orchid Serving Set
$110.00 | Horchow
David Trubridge Design | Nikau Pendant - Paint
YLighting
Brookfield Comforter
$975.00 | FRONTGATE