Bulb ID help please?

courtcourtJanuary 24, 2010

I bought my home in the middle of summer last year, and didn't do much work to the outside, because it was blistering hot, and because the inside needed a lot of work. We had a couple of days of decent temps, so I set out to pull out the ugly, non-descript bushes in the already established beds, and start some new ones.

I found a TON of these bulbs, growing in little clumps, in a bed by my mailbox, while attempting to dig up what appears to be a small tree stump. I vaguely remember there being tall-ish flowers of some sort, maybe 2-4 feet tall, in that spot, but I'm not sure if that was a result of these bulbs, because I didn't see the house until June. Any guesses? It's kind of hard to tell from the picture, but the leaves are growing very flat and fanned out a bit (and this is on all of them.)

In the process of digging, I saved as many as I could, but some got broken up. I'm much more used to growing from seed, so forgive the stupid question, but can I replant the ones that snapped apart from each other, or are they a lost cause?

Thanks!! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Bearded iris.

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 9:31PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

but can I replant the ones that snapped apart from each other, or are they a lost cause?

If the broken parts show any signs of having growth nubs on them, then you can plant them and the nubs will develop rhizomes that will in time bloom. Also cut away any part of the rhizome that doesn't have any roots on it.

Here is a good FAQ from the Iris Forum. How do I dig, divide, and transplant bearded irises? It discusses plant spacing as well as planting depth, which very shallow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to see a rhizone with a fan and different sized growth nubs.

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 10:41PM
sunandshadow

Yep bearded iris, and they naturally snap apart as they multiply and grow.

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 1:32AM
More Discussions
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
Avantika
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™