Chinese Elm - HELP

rob_thompson(5)May 25, 2009

I recently bought 4 Bonsai's from joebonsai.com. They seem to be a reputable dealer. They were shipped second day UPS and well packaged. Three arrived in great shape (a Ficus, a Schefflera, and a Podocarpus).

The fourth, a Chinese Elm, looked fine right out of the box. The leaves are well attached (not falling off) but are brittle and break/crumble if bent (like fall leaves). Is this normal for this type of tree? The soil was reasonably moist upon arrival and I have been watering it every 2-3 days.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moyogijohn

You may have got a tree that has last years leaves on it..elm trees are suppose to drop there leaves every year like all deciduous trees.do not water heavy just moist watch for buds breaking in 2 weeks.let them know what the tree is doing in case you have to get a replacement..hope this helps....john

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 6:00PM
head_cutter

They are a semi-reputible dealer, still the best way to buy a tree is from a nursery where you actually see it. Other than a few larger trees what most sell are large rooted cuttings with very little development at all. There are a few different varieties of 'Chinese Elm' on the market, most look the same, there are some (like some Oaks) which don't drop last years leaves until the new buds break. This could be what's happening, especially if it' was kept in a greenhouse or cold house over winter. I'd keep it just barely moist and watch for new buds before watering too much.

Bob

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 12:07AM
rob_thompson(5)

Thanks for your follow-up postings. It's now been nearly a month and new little green buds have appeared all over my new Chinese Elm. It appears that it is growing all new leaves to replace the old ones it dropped!

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
aerial roots
I have a sheflera bonsai that sprouted a number of...
davidfromdetroit
great nebari
Hello everyone, I am starting to experiment with ways...
halocline
root pruning saws
Hi everybody, can anybody show me a picture & give...
halocline
training pots
hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has ever...
halocline
Bonsai Beginner help: Juniper, Eugenia, and Fukien Tea
Hi there, I'm new to the Bonsai world (currently succulent...
DavidL.ca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™