Planting Bulbs in the Mojave Desert

wtmac(8/9 AZ)January 9, 2007

Has anyone had success naturalizing bulbs in the Mojave Desert? Especially North Western Arizona and/or South Eastern California and/or Extreme Southern Nevada? My Zone is 8/9. Thank you lots. Mac

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Not me obviously, but have you thought about some of the South African bulbs and tried to determine their adaptability?? Many are incredibly beautiful of course and perhaps they are good candidates. Best of luck :o) Dan

Bookmark   January 10, 2007 at 7:16PM
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Not at all certain if you mean the Mojave actually, or just some climate like the western high desert regions of California, Nevada, Arizona, etc. There are a lot of native bulbs which love the conditions out there, and many of the Fritillaries and similar love high desert conditions. As mentioned, some of the african bulbs also need these dry dormant conditions.

George

Bookmark   January 12, 2007 at 8:40AM
wtmac(8/9 AZ)

Thank you Dan and George. The South African bulb fraternity is quite active, I found, and also helpful. Hightly recommended were all gladioli, which I will try this spring. If I succeed with gladioli I will try getting other bulbs from S.A. Yes, this is the high desert in part; the soil is sandy, pebbly and rocky, with extreme temps. Overnight low this morning was 11 Deg. F. which is the coldest I've ever experienced here. Normal high temps in summer are over 100 Deg. F. mac

Bookmark   January 13, 2007 at 10:58AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I grew daffodils and freesia when I lived in Phoenix

Bookmark   March 19, 2007 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™