Infestation of various bugs

overlordMay 18, 2007

This morning while watering my fukien tea I have noticed red ants and larvae in the soil. What is the best action to take knowing that fukien tea are not easly treated for infestations?

I really don't want to cause any more trauma for the tree but I know if I leave this untreated it will certainly be the cause of death.

Thanks,

Jimmy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

Wait an extra day between waterings, then immerse the pot in the sink and wait 10 mins. Unless you have 'aqua-ants' they'll be long gone before time's up.

Bookmark   May 20, 2007 at 6:29PM
overlord

IÂll try that tomorrow seeing as it needs a water already. IÂve read that making a tobacco tea like solution, waiting for it to cool, then pouring over the soil will get rid of most insects! Advisable for a fukien tea or not?

Thanks for the help btw lucy.

Jimmy

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 6:33AM
scenter

I have tried to use the non-toxic dunk method to rid my plants of ant colonies. Yes, it is impressive to see hunderds of ants fleeing the rising water, but it doesn't work completely. They all flee up my tree/plant, wait there, and hide among the leaves which makes spraying them off an arduous task (and here in GA if its fire ants that could be a painful experience.). I often wind up using rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle on everything after they have climbed up. (This also works great for mealy bugs, scale and spider-mites). I sometimes do resort to the residual acting ant-killer spray on the soil (not on the plant - it damages leaves) - for any ants that had SCUBA gear.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 9:13AM
lucy(6)

OL - Write to Harry Harrington, about the biggest name (but coolest guy) in bonsai in the UK. Either google, or find him at www.thebonsaisite.com as he hangs out there a lot.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Bonsai Beginner help: Juniper, Eugenia, and Fukien Tea
Hi there, I'm new to the Bonsai world (currently succulent...
DavidL.ca
Goji berry bonsai
I recently purchased a goji berry and was wondering...
Joshua Hughes
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Rosemary Bonsai
I'm fairly new to bonsai and I have a question about...
satisdee
Need help identifying
I bought a small tree from ikea last week (I know that's...
znem1987
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™