Slight problem with forced bulbs. :-/

scully931(6)January 11, 2011

I had this grand plan of putting my bulbs in the refrigerator earlier than normal so I could have blooms now through February. Great, except now I'm going on vacation for a week. (End of Jan - beginning of Feb)

The hyacinths most of all look ready to be taken out. All the bulbs have had their required time.

Problems:

1. I don't want to miss the blooms while I'm away.

2. I don't have a cool place to keep them until the sunroom warms up a bit. (Hadn't thought of that back in Sept.)

3. Not crazy about letting my cats alone with all those flowers. My house is too tiny to keep them out of a room for a whole week with only a babysitter coming in once a day.

Any chance they'll be okay in the refrigerator until around Feb. 7th?

Help!

Thanks! ~Deborah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
radarcontactlost(8)

I dont see why not, I know of some online sellers that are still selling cold forced bulbs and have been doing so for months. They may start to sprout, but thats ok. Pot them up when you get home, or pot them up now and put them in the garage. Should be fine.

Bookmark   January 12, 2011 at 10:12PM
scully931(6)

I should have mentioned they were potted when they were put in the refrigerator. I guess they will be okay. Just don't want to ruin them.

Thanks so much for your advice!

Bookmark   January 13, 2011 at 12:29AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

scully931

Your potted bulbs should be just fine until you wish to bring them out of your fridge to a warmer area. I force several kinds of spring bulbs in my basement cold cellar, and bring the pots out a few at a time so I can enjoy the flowering blooms over a longer period than if I brought them all out at once. As long as the pots are kept consistantly cold, the bulbs will only grow slowly, just as they would do if planted outdoors in a cool climate under the snow.

Bookmark   January 16, 2011 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™