Eucalyptus candidate

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)May 1, 2013

I got this tree a year ago with the intention of putting it in the ground somewhere, but ended up being one of those things that never got done. After a few months, I felt sorry for it and gave it a bigger pot, but it was never stable, always wobbly. It gets blown over a lot, so all soil not firmly held by roots is gone.

At this point, it's not something I want in the yard, but this spring, the circle of new branches at the bottom is intriguing. Hope you can see, they're in a perfect ring.

Before I just lop off the top, which is probably "wrong," I wanted to solicit advice/opinions about this plant... What say you? What would you do with this thing? TIA for your input.

It lived in the pot outside all winter, so that would be the plan for it in the future...

The whole thing:

At the base:

The base from the other side:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Having all the branches growing in a whorl is highly undesirable. The reason is, the trunk will thicken badly in the area of the whorl and you'll be left to wonder about how to deal with the reverse taper of the trunk (as in layering it off right below the swelling). If your intent is to keep it in a pot, I would remove all but the one branch that best compliments the formative structure, with the thought that it's eventually going to be the new top - when you sever the main trunk (to give the plant some taper) immediately above the branch you choose as the eventual new leader.

Some of the eucalypts make very nice bonsai, but I'm trying to envision what the growth habit of that particular species might be like. Don't let that stop you from having fun with it, though!

Al

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 5:19PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Yep, the only thing I was sure of was that I was wrong. At least that's right! Thanks for the response, Al. You know I'm always having fun with the plants!

Just realized I never indicated its' species, E. polyanthemos.

These trees are hardy here, but not at all common. Not even sure if the few I've seen are all the same species, but generally, they are unruly, gangly, gnarly. I have no experience with them either.

Your future vision is more acute than mine, even if we are the blind leading the blind on this particular species, so if you don't envision a result that looks like a little weeping cherry or willow (except for the Eucalyptus leaves,) it's probably not possible.

I have no fantasies that this would be a proper bonsai, but seems like it could be a cute little curiosity. Will post pics of whatever torture I devise for this sad little guy... My Mom has even quit asking if she can have it for her yard.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 8:48AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If you want a little weeping tree, get a Ficus pumila and train it to an upright form. It's branches will be innately pendulous. ;-) Have fun!

Al

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maple Bonsai Tree Started to Sprout
Hello, I am a first time bonsai grower and I bought...
bgardne7
From seedling
I was just wondering how do I grow my plant into a...
Shivam Shetty
American Hornbeam: Leaf Damage, Possible Pest Problem, Need Help!
Hi all, thanks in advance for reading this post and...
ZeBonsai Kers
Fukien Tea - Making a come back!!!
Hello Everyone, this is a wonderful story. Back in...
halocline
Need help identifying
I bought a small tree from ikea last week (I know that's...
znem1987
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™