Wiring tools-straight or angled handles?

sfhellwig(6a SE Kansas)May 27, 2009

Some of the next tools I will need are wire cutters and wire/jin pliers. Right now I have regular needle nose and wire cutters and they aren't going to work for much longer. After looking around I see both are offered in a straight and angled handle set. I am wondering if anyone has found likes or dislikes with either. I figure the wire cutters I would want straight handle for better leverage/less slip. However the angled pliers may be better for wiring trees into pots. Input is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
head_cutter

I've had both curved and straight handled wire cutters but didn't see much difference in the way they worked. I would imagine that the curved handled ones would be more comfortable if you were removing a lot of wire.

I never really bothered with the 'jin' plyers rather used good lineman ones for wiring trees into pots, normal but decent plyers and slip-joint ones for jins and other 'ripping' operations. Much of it depends on what you need/want and can spend for.

I think most of us would agree that the order of importance for tools would be 1. 2 good pair of concave cutters--8" and a larger set 2. good quality wire cutters 3. knob cutters.
The rest of the stuff sort of gets accumulated over the years.

Bob

Bookmark   June 1, 2009 at 8:51PM
sfhellwig(6a SE Kansas)

I definitely agree on the concave cutters. Those are probably the one tool I couldn't have found a non-bonsai replacement for. And thanks for the idea of lineman's pliers. I believe I will buy those locally. I do like the appearance of bonsai specific tools but I do not have much disposable income so alternatives are always appreciated. I do have a cheap tool wrap but it is full of second hand/modified tools. I suppose I could work with typical wire cutters and just be more cautious. I just haven't ever seen the jaws on bonsai wire cutters to see what is different.

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 9:41AM
head_cutter

The wire cutters for Bonsai are very different. They allow more leverage with a smaller cutting area and closely rounded end to allow you to cut the wire without nicking the branch in the process. If someone wires they are an absolute necessity.

Bob

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 7:57PM
sfhellwig(6a SE Kansas)

I was finally able to find closer pictures of a few wire cutters. I think for the small amount of work I have done so far I can get by but these will definitely be my next bonsai purchase. I would like to believe I could modify an existing set but working tool steel is not probably in my means. I wanted to do this, it does require some investment. At least this way it will match my shears and concave cutters. Curved or straight will be more a function of which is the cheapest pair I can find.

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
Help! Brand new to bonsai and need design tips!
Hello all. First time posting. I received a gift of...
benpcoleman1
Quercus virginiana vs. Olea europaea...Live Oak vs Olive
These two species can be trained into the same styles...
bronxfigs
Tips for new owner of an Australian Brush Cherry?
I came across a 18-inch-tall Australian Brush Cherry...
Ohiofem
Fukien Tea in bloom!
Brand new to Bonsai but my Fukien Tea has started opening...
DavidL.ca
Turface in Eugene OR
I have been looking for Turface or Turface like products...
ridgie
Sponsored Products
Solid Bronze Classic Drawer Drop Pull
Signature Hardware
Caspian Wall Sconce by Robert Abbey
$350.90 | Lumens
HGVT HOME Graphic Control Matte Black Wire Table Lamp - HGTV160
$110.00 | Hayneedle
Parkfield 5Lt Chandelier Flemish Bronze Creme
PLFixtures
Chef's Classic Stainless Steel 3-Qt. Covered Saucepan
$36.99 | zulily