Bonsai Buds Rotting

dianabonsaiMay 16, 2009

Hello!

I am having an issue with buds rotting off of my gardenia bonsai. Several threads i have read point to perhaps overwatering as the cause of this problem. I am using an aqua globe, a blown glass watering device that claims to deliver water only as the plant needs it. I am going to try draining it for the next couple of days, but I am also wondering if there is another cause to this problem. I have applied epsom salts to the soil for acidity and have previously applied Schultz plant food (10-15-10) in a half dose as prescribed by the care instructions that came with the plant. Perhaps I have over fertilized? I have also read that I shouldn't fertilize when blooms are present. No blooms because all the buds are falling off! Does this rule also apply to the presence of buds? It is very important to me that I not kill this beautiful plant because it is a gift from my husband until we can have children....

thank you SO much in advance.

D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hi, D!
Are there yellow leaves on the plant, as well?

Josh

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 2:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
head_cutter

The good news is--it will be easy to replace. The bad news is--your husband gave you one of the worst possible plants for a Bonsai beginner.
I'd lose the watering thing and water according to what you feel in the soil, it should have a wet to dry to wet cycle.
If it's kept wet all of the time you will only get root rot=dead plant.
I'd take it outside and yank it out of the pot to see if it's got a drain hole in the pot and...if the drain hole is plugged. We have no idea what kind of pot it's in anyway so that would be a place to start.
IF the buds are rotting off and the leaves are turning yellow it's being kept too wet.
Also, feeding a sick, dead or dying plant just finishes the job.

Bob

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Rosemary Bonsai
I'm fairly new to bonsai and I have a question about...
satisdee
Need help identifying
I bought a small tree from ikea last week (I know that's...
znem1987
Who's Going to MABA show in July?
Wondering if anyone from GW is planning to attend the...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Will a Holly. make a good Bosnia?
I just bought a holly in a six inch pot. It just says...
plantermunn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™