Good Solid Bonsai Book for Beginners?

cwren58(7/8)May 27, 2013

My husband is fascinated with bonsai and has made some attempts on his own. I would like to get him a nice pot and a really good bonsai book that a beginner would learn a lot from. It needs to be a meaty book though--he's very intelligent and an engineer, so I don't want to get something that he wouldn't want to really study.

Can anyone recommend a really good bonsai book and/or a source for some good pots?

thanks!
Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

I would recommend The Complete book of Bonsai by Harry Tomlunson. It has a full colour A-Z species by species section. Very good.
Also Bonsai by Dan Barton. And anything by Peter Chan!

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 6:04PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

I would recommend The Complete book of Bonsai by Harry Tomlunson. It has a full colour A-Z species by species section. Very good.
Also Bonsai by Dan Barton. And anything by Peter Chan!

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 6:05PM
cwren58(7/8)

Thank you both! :) Maybe I'll get him a little set of books.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 6:56PM
penz

I would definitely recommend The Bonsai Book by Dan Barton, one of the best and most complete books on bonsai I know. Is easy to read, have a very explanative style and is complemented with great illustrations. I wrotte a full review about it if you want to know more:

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bonsai Book

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 1:00PM
cwren58(7/8)

thanks!

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 2:40PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

To be successful at bonsai, a good working knowledge of soils and plant physiology are essential, and more valuable than a collection of bonsai books, which tend to cover a variety of topics, and none of them well. Exceptions to that rule are Bonsai Techniques I and Bonsai Techniques II ~ John Naka, and Bonsai ~ Deb Koreshoff. These books are out of print, so buying them used might be required, but they are worth looking for.

I highly recommend Plant Production in Containers ~ Carl Whitcomb PhD, The Physiology of Woody Plants ~ Kozlowski/Pallardy or Growth Control in Woody Plants by same authors, and Growing Media for Ornamental Plants and Turf ~ Handreck/Black. Another out of print book that is excellent is The Growing Tree ~ Brayton Wilson

Another very good plant physiology book is Plant Physiology ~ Mohr/Schopfer, but this is a book for more advanced horticultural practitioners ....

Al

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 10:14PM
chickencoupe

Than you, Tapla and to OP

This is just what I was looking for, too.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 2:49PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

You're welcome - good luck!!

Al

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 9:31PM
rooftopbklyn

I guess this is an old-ish thread, but with the holidays approaching its still relevant.

As a beginner myself, I've checked out a decent number of bonsai books in the past year. Despite many recommendations here and elsewhere, I found "The Complete book of Bonsai by Harry Tomlunson" to be so basic as to be almost useless. You can find similar info all over the internet by reading any introductory material on bonsai. At least for me, it was way too basic and high level to be of much use.

I did however have the fortune to be gifted a copy of Deborah Koreshoff's out of print Bonsai book, which I find invaluable and amazing. Quite accessible to a beginner, and I think it will be many years before I am at the point where I need more depth than is in this book. It's probably expensive to buy, but well worth it. I can't figure out why its no longer in print, given the high quality of the content.

I also had a chance to browse a friends copy of John Naka's Bonsai Techniques I, which I found very technical and difficult to relate to at my current skill level. I'm sure its a great book, but I decided its not for me, at least not now or anytime soon.

Daniel

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 7:25AM
More Discussions
My first bonsai. What is it?
Bought this at our local chain store:-) the tag said...
1nogreenthumb
My pine bonsai is in bag inside pot, what do I do?
New to bonsai, Ive had a pine bonsai thats roots came...
jellywave
bonsai a large outdoor camellia?
Someone long ago planted this camellia much too close...
Kristin
Need ID help
I just picked this up in the bonsai section of the...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Help! Brand new to bonsai and need design tips!
Hello all. First time posting. I received a gift of...
benpcoleman1
Sponsored Products
Upton Home Thornton Espresso Media Stand
Overstock.com
Travel Blanket
$30.00 | Horchow
Personalized World Travel Journal
$60.00 | FRONTGATE
Hold 'em Up! Bookends
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Spot on Square | Hiya Bookshelf, Walnut
YLiving.com