Experiences with Saffron Crocus?

nadia214January 20, 2013

Hi! I was really curious if anyone has grown the Saffron Crocus. If so, what was your experience with it, what zone you are in and where you able to harvest Saffron? I'm toying with the idea of growing it but I'm feeling a little intimidated by it because I heard its hard to grow good quality saffron from it. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

It didn't work for me in zone 10b. I don't think it even bloomed, and it definitely didn't come back the next year.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 9:44PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

I have grown them, and they flowered, and then I had an inadvertent upheaval so they come up in weird places now.

If you can grow garlic well you can probably grow saffron. They seem to prefer an open soil, and plenty of sunshine, and they do better if they're lifted each year and replanted with the larger bulbs set out to flower/produce and the smaller ones put in to grow on to flowering size. Some people recommend using a 'hill and furrow' growing system, though not as marked as you would for potatoes. If you need to irrigate rather than count on autumn rains, then that would make sense for keeping the flowers/anthers dry.

You might not get flowers the first year if the bulbs have yet to reach flowering size. And you need to manage your bulbs this way rather than hoping they'll naturalise. I suppose it's because they're a crop, not a decorative plant.

Feeding seems to be best done using mature compost rather than quick chemicals.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 4:30AM
wvbetsy(z6WV)

I've had excellent success growing saffron crocus. I plant them just as I would any other crocus. I amend the soil with compost regularly. The only time I dig them is when they've become crowded. I disagree that they're no decorative. They've naturalized throughout my flower beds. I collect the threads and use them in cooking.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 8:53PM
ofionnachta(z6 WNJ)

I've got a couple of clumps that have flowered for 2 years now. They are in my garden meant for flowers, not veggies. I think they are beautiful and yes, we have used the threads in cooking--but since there are not many, we only added them to the saffron we already had. I live in NJ a few miles north of Trenton. The crocuses are planted in the only bed that gets full afternoon sun. They did make clumps pretty fast after I planted the single bulbs.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
How to plant Crinums with leaves
Hey all, Just received some mail order crinums which...
jscaldwell
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
Sponsored Products
Perfect Pastry Flat Grain Cutting Board
Overstock.com
Afro Stool by Domitalia
$537.12 | Lumens
Crystorama Mirabella Mini Chandelier - 14W in. Aged Brass & Clear Multicolor - 5
$448.20 | Hayneedle
8 Square Rain Shower Head & Wall Mounted Arm - Chrome Finish Easyclean
Hudson Reed
Basket Sconce by Dform Design
$308.00 | Lumens
Metal Candle Holder with Clear Glass Case
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™