favorite vegetables to grow successful in containers

wingspings(5)January 23, 2013

I tried container gardening my first time last year. I had a pretty good harvest for what was planted.

What are the types of Tomatoes, Peppers hot and bell, cucumbers and squash and melons that you have grown successfully?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
japus

Last year I grew zucchini, and cucumber in 10 gal buckets.had vines and fruit all over my deck, good crops, also had an 8 gal bucket on the side with 4 red bell pepper plants (yes 4)
This container was in partial shade, and grew very nicely, all 4 plants, local farmer told me pepper plants like to be touching each other.
Even tho the deer just about destroyed the leaves I still had a nice crop of red bells
Gonna do more this year...

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 12:01PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I grow a monster Sun Gold tomato in a 15-gallon container on my back deck every year.
My friends have grown quite a few different determinate and micro tomato varieties, as well.

Hot peppers are really my specialty, or focus, and I've grown cultivars across four species
successfully in 5-gallon containers. Larger containers tend to increase productivity.

Josh

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 12:24PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

I do several different determinate variety tomatoes in 10 gallon containers (1 each), several indeterminate varieties in 15-20 gallon containers (1 each), 4 heads of cabbage in 10 gallons, peppers plants both hot and sweet in 7-10 gallons, and several mixed varieties of leaf lettuce in 5-7 gallon containers. Have also have fairly good luck with potatoes in 10 gallon Grow Bags. Nantes carrots do well in containers and so do strawberries and rhubarb.

Dave

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™