Crocus have less blooms.

hostalover360(4)February 25, 2009

I have been helping a lot of people here lately, and now I need some help myself. I have these Crocus planted in a patch in our Front yard. They are going on there 5th spring. I Remember they did not bloom the first year. Then the second year they bloomed great! there were White yellow and Purple. the year after that they did pretty good, but a few less blooms. Last spring, There were only 2 flowers a Purple one and a yellow one. I let the grass in the area stay long to let the foliage die back. and I give some weak fertilizer in spring just as the leaves come up. they always get nice thick leaves. I remember these Crocuses down the road that bloom so bright and full every year, and they did nothing to them. anyone have any ideas? there in a Sunny spot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

It may be one of those quirks of garden soil - like 'why do my mother's Lachenalias flourish and mine cower?' (She has a silty loam and mine has more clay even though we live near each other.)

Or drainage and aspect.

Or feeding later in spring with a mix that has more potash to help set the flowers for the coming season. (Tomato fertiliser can be useful.)

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
please help - fungus gnats eating bulbs?
I most likely bought infectious putting soil. My bulbs...
pinkkpearls
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™