Passion vine (passiflora) can it be done?

atheris_squamigeraMay 10, 2007

I have noticed that my passion vines are quite woody, can I bonsai one? I am new to the art of bonsai, but I have read a lot and it seems possible. I think it would be a great project.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scenter

The only 'passionflower' I have grown is the native Maypop (Pasiflora incarnata), and that is in a bed in my yard, not a pot. Here in Georgia it is a wild plant that dies to the ground in winter, so it would not make a good subject for outdoor bonsai. I haven't tried overwintering any indoors, because, by October they are about 20 feet tall and all knotted together. Also it's leaves are about the size of your hand - too big for an easy bonsai.

Which cultivar were you thinking of trying? If the stem gets woody, and the leaves aren't too big, I'd say give it a try.

On second thought, heck...try anyway...you may wind up with something unexpectedly attractive, even if it doesn't fit the standard definition of 'Bonsai' (The Atlanta Botanical Garden has some gorgeous red passionflower (P. coccinea?)vines in their display)

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 3:30PM
atheris_squamigera

yeah, I was thinking incense passion flower indoors, the leaves are big but I was thinking more long-term. It would be a breathtaking plant if I could train it for years into a large bonsai. But there are so many varities of passiflora that I am not familiar with all of them. There may be some with smaller leaves. The flowers of the incense just astound me, but I may settle for some smaller-leaved one with less attractive flowers.

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 3:50PM
nickbowers13

I also have a passion vine that is in the process of being turned into a bonsai and i have been talking to a bonsai expert (bonsai9723 on youtube) and he said it would make a great bonsai. my vine is beginning to take the shape of a bonsai and starting to bloom, though it is not big and only has the trunk apout the size of my pinky finger i think it has great potential, i hope i helped as much as i could,
Nick

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 11:07PM
blkthum

I am trying it with passiflora caerulea, so far so well. I am going to go imperial bonsai big with it and try the shape as natural as possible, just shaped so another plant can fit within it without being impacted by it. Kind of windswept. However it is real young now and my mind may change on it's shape as it grows. If it lives.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 5:47PM
khalidex

I am new to the art of bonsai, but I have read a lot about bonsai and i am applying my knowledge to it...

Here is a link that might be useful: how to get ex back

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 2:40AM
More Discussions
My first bonsai. What is it?
Bought this at our local chain store:-) the tag said...
1nogreenthumb
For my first? Good choice or bad?
Seiju Dwarf. Elm. $ 70 three gallon pot.Nice fat trunk....
plantermunn
5 Cedar Trees
Thanks to the advice of coppice, I looked in Craigslist...
ridgie
Turface in Eugene OR
I have been looking for Turface or Turface like products...
ridgie
help my bonsai is dying!!!!!
Hello, I am in desperate need of help. I am a begginer...
dayscraze
Sponsored Products
Naples Satin Nickel Five-Light Pendant with 11-Foot Silver Cord with Clear Glass
Bellacor
Sheen Pike Dual Ladder Twin over Twin Bunk Bed - IDF-BK1032-OR
$379.99 | Hayneedle
Braxton Platform Bed - IDF-7293F
$289.99 | Hayneedle
MR16 Spotlight with Step Cowl by Hinkley Lighting
$65.56 | Lumens
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs Passion Sand 3 ft. 6 in. x 5 ft. 6
Home Depot
Solara Square Outdoor Wall Sconce by Hinkley Lighting
$229.00 | Lumens
Naples Satin Nickel Three-Light Pendant with 5.5-Foot Silver Cord with Clear Gla
$792.00 | Bellacor
Full 400TC Marcus Collection Lace-Trimmed Sheet Set - IVORY
$334.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™