Time for Costco bulbs again

a_shau(San Francisco 8b)February 10, 2014

Hey all - I innocently walked into Costco today (in SF, CA) just to get some soap and toothpaste and walked right into their spring gardening aisle. They had tons of bags of bulbs sitting there with beautiful pictures of flowers the bulbs are purported to grow into.

Anyone have any luck with Costco bulbs? looks like from 2009-2012 there were lots of posts about them being duds...wondering if anyone had any luck with them last year? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I buy some every year. Just don't expect too much the first year. Most are such a good value I don't mind waiting for year 2 and 3. Al

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:50AM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

The only mismarked I've had were daylilies - 2 were as advertized, other 2 a brilliant orange instead of purple (bag of 4). For daylilies to bloom the first year! from a bag! Excelnt.

Lilies, daffs, muscari, clematis, dahlias, etc. have all been true.

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 12:50AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Sizes are sometimes small.

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 1:16AM
gdjcb

I have purchased a half dozen bags a year from Costco the last five years, everything has grown well, however, none of the daffodils have been true to name. Great value in my opinion, just remember you may not get what the picture shows.

Gale

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 10:32PM
calistoga_al

I bought my usual bag of peony. Was able to find a bag with varieties not in my garden. They were better divisions than usual. I always pot them up the first year, transplanting into the garden after spring growth starts next spring. Here where we have lots of deer pressure, gophers also, it is nice to grow something they leave alone. Al

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 10:29AM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™