removing lime deposits from glazed pots- mark in va. et al.

arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)May 24, 2007

i don't know what a 'bonsai pot' is, but i am trying to clean heavy lime deposite off GLAZED asian pots that I use for water fountains. Boiling vinegar works o.k. but not great. won't muriatic or other acids-phosphoric, hydrochloric, sulfuric, remove the glaze?

thanks for your help if you see this

Mindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

Sorry, don't know what to tell you... maybe someone else will. Oh, just thought of something - have you tried CLR? It's sold (in Canada, anyhow) all over for lime (and rust) deposits and is supposed to be safe on porcelain sinks.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 8:06PM
barebum(z8b Spring, Tx)

You might try white vinegar.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 10:29PM
tanyag

I would use CLR or Lime away. I think it would have to soak for a LONG time before it would harm the glaze. Most glazes fired in a kiln are quite sturdy.

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 7:21AM
hooks

tanyag is right about most glazes being fairly sturdy but what makes a big difference is wheher its a high fire glaze or a low fire glaze. one way you can usually tell the difference is the color of the clay. the picture below shows three different types of clay. the red on the left is earthenware it cannot be high fired so any glaze you see on this colored clay will be low fire glaze. the other two are the same type of clay stoneware. as you can see there are two different color tones the middle picture is high fired while the right picture is done at a low fire. as you can see the high fire has a darker almost gritty look to it aposed to the clean white of the low fire piece. the only time you will find high fire pieces that are white is if they are porcelain and if that is the case you will have payed almost double the money and it should have been marked as such. that being said high fire glaze will hold up to far greater punishment then low fire because it is set at temperatures of 2000 deg plus so there is very little you can do to damage it. i hope this helps.

Bookmark   May 25, 2007 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
PLEASE HELP MY BONSAI!
Hi, I've had my bonsai for a year, ligustrum, it was...
nicoleaspen24
making bonsai leaves smaller
i heard somewhere that if you cut back the leaves on...
raregreen
Fukien Tea Bonsai Help
My bonsai has been happy for about a year with new...
Forrest Finkler
HELP! My Boxwood Bonsai tree is dying! :(
I recently got a small boxwood (i believe that's the...
carlac8
Brush Cherry Bonsai: How can I keep it alive indoors
I recently purchased a Brush cherry bonsai and a New...
Edward Nehamkin
Sponsored Products
White Desk Lamps: Apple White Solar,USB or A/C LED Lamp and Cellphone Charger wi
$89.00 | Home Depot
Shiba Lid by Alessi
$43.40 | Lumens
Liberty Furniture Kingston Server in Hand Rubbed Cognac Finish
Beyond Stores
Classic Quarry 58" Jera Slate Stainless Steel Wall Fountain
Lamps Plus
Original Toe Kick Kit
Signature Hardware
At Home Designs Laredo Sofa
LuxeDecor
Great Plains Rug 8' x 10' - CREAM