First signs of spring.

homemommyFebruary 27, 2009

Well, I planted about 400 bulbs last fall in my new front garden (moved to the house last september)

Anyway, funny how I think of the garden as all being West Facing, but obviously the sun is not that narrow minded. On the far south side, the snow is long gone, and little green and red nubs are appearing everywhere! I had to go out and peel off the burlap I laid down with peat to try and thwart the squirrels last fall and protect the roses. I was worried if they came up any more, removing the burlap would rip off the new shoots! Not what anyone would want.

But... as you move north along the garden (still west facing), the ground gets progressively frosty, until it is frozen solid and under 2 feet of snow!

I have a feeling I am going to have domino blooms in the spring, they are going to start blooming on one side, and work their way north in a chain reaction!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostalover360(4)

We have the same effect here in Wis I'm in Zone 4, but on the south side of our house where the sun shines against the white siding, I would not be surprised if it was a mini zone 5 or 6! snow is always gone there first daffodils plants on south sides always bloom about 1 week or more earlier then daffodils elsewhere. actually There already daffodils sprouting at my aunts house along the south side. mine have not came up yet, but not there all under 6 inches of snow enjoy your spring garden!

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 3:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alwaysagarden(CA 9b)

Homemommy,
I'd love to know what kind of bulbs you are growing! 400... Oh I envy you, I have about 50. I adore flowers from bulbs, look forward to seeing them every Spring!
My Daffs are blooming right now, they are so cheery. : )

Cindy

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 2:24AM
More Discussions
spreaders
pushkinia, scillas, aka chionodoxa, muscari. what nice...
daves10z7annv
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
daves10z7annv
When do oriental hybrid lilies bloom, i have some bulbs in pot outside
I brought a pot of 4 hybrid oriental lilies from home...
tlbean2004
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™