plant, or not to plant?

texas_is_homeFebruary 21, 2010

Im not entirely sure if garlic is a bulb or not but anyways...I had a clove of garlic that is beginning to grow and i placed it in the dirt and its growing roots. the only thing is that when i planted it it had a little bit of mold on it and now the mold is growing with the garlic. will this mold kill the garlic or some how damage it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Garlic needs to be planted in the fall and harvested the next summer. That being said, I have been known to plant garlic cloves any time I had some with such big sprouts they're not good for cooking. The greens will ususally come right up (except in the worst heat of summer). These are delicious in stir fries. Last year, my spring planted garlic went dormant in the summer and came back up in the fall. I am going to see if they are harvestable come June or July.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
spreaders
pushkinia, scillas, aka chionodoxa, muscari. what nice...
daves10z7annv
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Sponsored Products
Jaipur Konstrukt Linie Transitional Stripe Pattern Wool/Silk Handloom Rug Multic
$99.00 | Hayneedle
Trees & Clouds Landscape Wall Art Set
$54.99 | zulily
Jaipur Maroc Nada Flat Weave Moroccan Pattern Wool Handmade Rug - RRC001010-0163
$58.00 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Coastal Living Hand-Tufted Monstera Transitional Coastal Pattern Wool Tuf
$99.00 | Hayneedle
Rum Beach Chair
FRONTGATE
Black 20'' Double-Finial Plant Stand
$14.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™