Too late to plant Wood Hyacinths ??

brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)February 24, 2010

I found some Wood Hyacinths (Florece tercero) bulbs I'd intended to plant this fall. The pkg. says for my area to plant Sept - Nov. They are still in fine shape. Is it too late to plant them now? If so, should I try spring or just hold them until next fall?

tks,

bonnie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

BTW, do they need freezing soil to bloom in spring? I'm not sure how much more freezing weather we're going to have.

I'm not sure but I 'think' that wood hyacinths require a cooling period in order to bloom, not necessarily freezing soil though.

Where have these been stored? What temp? Unheated garage I hope. If they have had 12 weeks of cool storage then they should just be planted whenever the soil can be worked in your area. If they have not been chilled, you might place them somewhere now to start the chilling process until you can plant them. If you don't chill them long enough there might not be any bloom this spring, but should be fine next spring.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 6:56PM
brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)

Well....uhhh....yes and no to your storage question. Had them outside on the porch for a long time but after a bad storm, everything got wet so I brought them in to dry, stuck them in with my seed basket and THAT'S why they got forgotten. So they've been in the nice, warm house (not good) for over a month.

I'll immediately put them out in the shed and a post-em note on my forehead until I get them in the ground.

TKS !!
bonnie aka brit5467

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 8:37AM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

Plant them, they should do fine! But you will probably not get any blooms.

Either into the soil if it's workable or pot them up now so they can root first. You can then plant them outside when spring arrives. Wood hyacinths are pretty hard to kill, but the bulbs will likely split up into smaller offsets because of the stress of late planting. They should bulk up again over the next growing season and bloom in two years as a nice little clump.

Bookmark   February 25, 2010 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™