Fall Blooming Bulbs

redsox_gwFebruary 8, 2009

I don't have much experiece with bulbs. I am aware of many spring blooming varieties, of course, daffodils, tulips, hyacinth, and many more.

What are some (easy) Fall Blooming varieties to be planted in Spring? I don't see many properties with Fall Blooming bulbs. Are they very common?

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Yes, they are relatively common and quite popular but there's not so many choices as there are with spring bloomers and they tend to be not quite so noticeable, given the profusion of other fall interest plants and foliage :-) Although a well-established clump of colchicums in full fall bloom is pretty hard to miss!

The standards are the 3 C's - Colchicum, Crocus sativa (saffron crocus) and hardy cyclamen. Hardy and easy to grow in most of the country if given the right conditions. You can typically find them available in late summer or sometimes in spring by mail order.

But there are others - nerines (my favorites!), lycoris, sternbergia, some species of zephyranthes and a few other species of crocus. Some will not be winter hardy everywhere and will need some protection. Most of these will be available through specialty bulb suppliers.

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 11:19AM
redsox_gw

Thanks, I will google the ones I am unfamiliar with.

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 2:08PM
Maryl zone 7a

Sternbergia Lutea is an old southern favorite beloved by the famous southern garden writer Elizabeth Lawrence. They look wonderful popping up from under low groundcovers and do better in the south then the more common Colchiums. They fell out of favor for years but now they are available from a few bulb catalogs.....Lycoris Radiata (Red Spider Lilies)are also an easy to grow early fall blooming bulbs. If they like the spot they are planted in they multiply with abandon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sternbergia

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™