Indoor Freesia Repotting?

seishonagon(5)February 17, 2013

I screwed this one up, lemme just say that right off the bat. Mea culpa! I work in a greenhouse, too, so I'm extra at fault. :P

I ordered some double white freesia bulbs last fall, to force indoors. I planted them in tiny pots, because that was all I had to hand. (Maybe an inch of soil over the bulb? At most.) Then I stuck them in a window with a bunch of other, bigger plants, where they are currently languishing in the dark. Then, to add injury to insult, I also didn't water or fertilize them properly.

They are WAY lanky, and pathetic, and floppy. There are a couple TEENY flower buds on long, long stalks, and the leaves are a decent green, but that's the only good news.

How do I save my babies? (And atone for my negligence?) Can I re-pot them? If I re-pot, can I pot them deeper? I just want them to survive the winter, and I promise I'll treat them better... if they just stay with me. Honest, baby, I can change. :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

You are not likely to lose them. Keep watering and support the floppy stems. They will bloom, and keep feeding until the foliage yellows, and you can save the bulbs for next year. These are tough plants. Here they naturalize and multiply every year. Al

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 11:30AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

More sun would be appreciated.
You can pot them on - a five inch pot and the sort of potting mix that is free-draining yet doesn't dry out. Need to have the bulb about an inch under. Not deep.

Place them somewhere the temperature doesn't get beyond 55F/13C.

They are winter-rain growers by nature. You can feed weekly with dilute liquid fertiliser (tomato would probably do) and keep it going until the leaves are starting to get that 'I've finished' look. Be moderate about watering, though - and allow for excellent drainage. Pot feet or stand on pebbles in the water saucer.

Definitely provide stem support - either individual or one of those hoop thingies that slide onto a pot from the bottom. And make sure the air can circulate - to prevent moulds and other nasties.

When the weather warms up - pop them outside to finish off. Avoid frosts, though. The doubles can be tender.

Repot in midsummer. You may want to separate the spawn from the larger bulbs for growing on, provided none of them showed any signs of virus in this growing year.

PS - they might not be scented; simply pretty.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 2:41AM
seishonagon(5)

Thanks for the advice! I'll make a few wire supports, and up-pot them into something less constricting.

I found this beauty hiding behind the bay tree foliage... looks like they forgive me!

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Recommendations for mainly crocus bulb supplier
Short story: New house, few bulbs (almost none) I'd...
dbarron
spreaders
pushkinia, scillas, aka chionodoxa, muscari. what nice...
daves10z7annv
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Sponsored Products
Red Truck Planter
$39.99 | zulily
Knoll | Saarinen Round Coffee Table
YLiving.com
Justice Design Group GLA-8561 - Arcadia 1 Light Wall Sconce - Bowl with Rippled
$290.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Poolside Grey/ Cream Indoor Outdoor Rug (6'7 Square)
Overstock.com
Radius | Radius AIR Bench
YLiving.com
Berry Evergreens Christmas Wreath Christmas Decor
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™