have the bilbs, now what?

maidinmontanaFebruary 25, 2009

I bought three bags of bulbs last fall. Our winter came so early Ididn't get them in the ground, and I was planning on forcing some for indoors. Anyway, I still have them (king Alfred daffs, red impression tulips and blue hyacinth)My ground is still frozen so planting outside isn't an option. 8 weeks in the fridge I think would be too late. Should I just wait til spring and plant them outside and if so, will it hurt them to skip a growing season? Thanks to any and all.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostalover360(4)

If I were you I would pot them up and put them in the Fridge or cool and DARK area where temps are between 32.F and 40.F. this should get them to form somewhat of a root system before the ground thaws. I would get them in the fridge of cool Dark are right away. and I would let be cool and dark at least for all of March. then you can plant them outside. don't forget to keep the moist to help form roots. If you wait until spring to plant them outside without giving them a cool treatment it might mess up there growing season. I have King alfred daffodils and tulips in the fridge right now and it only took about a month to form little roots. hope this helps you.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
please help - fungus gnats eating bulbs?
I most likely bought infectious putting soil. My bulbs...
pinkkpearls
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™