Gudoshnik tulips and La Nina

remontant(z6B TN)February 25, 2012

Hello! I wonder if our La Nina winter weather (warmer and much wetter than usual) might have put the whammy on the new Gudoshnik tulips I planted last fall? I have older, established Darwin tulips which already have their foliage well above ground. Should I give the Gudos another month to see if anything will sprout, or should I give over their spot to some old garden roses I've potted up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Should I give the Gudos another month to see if anything will sprout, or should I give over their spot to some old garden roses I've potted up?
I would not give up on them yet as I have found that spring blooming bulbs, newly planted the previous fall, are often a bit later to emerge and bloom. They may also just be a bit later variety to emerge.

Good luck...hope they do well for you.

Sue

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remontant(z6B TN)

Thanks Sue! That's sound advice because I've had the other Darwins for several years now. I thinned them last summer and was surprised to see they weren't as deep as I remembered planting them--frost heave, perhaps? Anyway, I planted the new bulbs 6" deep, so maybe they just have further to travel.

Thanks for your help!

~Reilly

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™