Old house,old hyacinth patch leaves but no blooms

dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)February 20, 2013

This is the second spring in this older house. Amid a thick deep hedge of forsythia emerge a healthy planting of hyacinth.
It appears they have been there for many years because of the spread of bulbs but none of them will develop flowers.

Do they need some sort of fertilizing over the summer/fall to feed the bulbs? Is it possible the natural ground cover of falling leaves provide just enough food to make good leaves but not sufficient to make a bloom?

It's such a healthy growth of leaves it's a shame not to have flowers and I don't really want to move them to another site in the yard. I've cut back the forsythia to better
expose the patch.

What do you bulb experts recommend I do to rejuvenate this patch of hyacinths?
I'm normally in the Carolina forum. I'll check back for answers. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
youngent(5)

i would divide them. Sounds like they are not getting enough nutrients. A feeding of bone meal will help too.

Good luck!

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 6:14PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

While they still have leaves, I'd try a fertiliser that's fairly high in potash.

Wood ash could be useful, but not if your soil is naturally alkaline.

And a topdressing of good old compost wouldn't hurt at all, so long as the ground is damp when you apply it.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 2:35AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

It appears they have been there for many years because of the spread of bulbs but none of them will develop flowers.
If they have been there for many years, they undoubtedly are quite crowded, and need dug and divided. You can either dig/divide them now while they are in the green, or else wait until the foliage has died back and yellowed.
Either way, it will likely take them a couple of years to recover and grow enough to be blooming size.

Sue

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 8:55AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Is the hyacinth id certain if they have never flowered? Could they be Spanish bluebells? The midst of a hedge doesn't seem a very likely spot for someone to have planted hyacinths.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 12:01PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

thankyou all for your advice. these bulbs probably fronted the back portion of this hedge since there's a border edging in front of them.
But forsythia arches and the stems readily root so I think that's why the hyacinth appear to be amidst the hedge.

I think while they have plenty of blooming time sun and very healthy looking leaf growth and leaf covering from overhead trees, they probably are a bit too low in the ground so I will lift them this fall, bring them forward to a
better area and set higher in the ground.

I presume if the leaves are full height and no evidence of a flower stalk coming then nothing I do now will bring forth a bloom this year. Next fall project. Thanks again.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™